For cPanel & WHM version 58
(Home >> Advanced >> Index Manager)
This document describes functionality from cPanel's deprecated x3 theme. We strongly recommend that you use cPanel's current theme (Paper Lantern) instead.
- We removed the deprecated x3 theme from new installations in cPanel & WHM version 60.
- Make certain that you read the appropriate documentation for your version of cPanel & WHM.
- For more information, read our What's My Version Number documentation.
- cPanel's Paper Lantern theme does not include certain x3 theme-specific features.
- For a complete list of Paper Lantern features, read our cPanel Features List documentation.
- If you need a feature that the Paper Lantern theme does not include, submit a feature request.
When a visitor accesses a directory (rather than a page) on your web site, the browser typically displays the directory's index page. If no index page exists, the browser displays a list of the files in that directory.
Manage a directory's index
Use the Index Manager to define how the server displays a specific directory's index to a visitor, or to disable index display for a directory.
- In the Directory Selection window, select one of the following locations in which to begin navigation:
- Web Root — The
public_html/wwwdirectory for the account's primary domain.
- Document Root for: — Select the domain in which to begin navigation.
- Web Root — The
- Navigate to the desired folder with the following:
- To navigate into a folder, click the folder's icon ( ).
- To navigate up one level of the directory tree, click the Up One Level folders icon.
- To select a directory, click that directory's name.
- Select one of the following options:
- Default System Setting — cPanel uses the default that your hosting provider defines.
- No Indexing — The server does not list the contents of the directory. Browsers display a message that states that the contents are forbidden.
- Standard Indexing — The server lists the directory's contents as filenames only.
- Fancy Indexing — The server lists file names and additional information, such as file size and time last modified.
- Click Save.