Move a file to a folder
To move a file into a folder, perform the following steps:
Select Move from the tool bar at the top of the interface. A new window will appear.
Note title Note:
You can also drag a file icon into a new destination folder.
Enter the file path that you want to move the file to in the Move text box.
Click Move File(s) to move the file.
Move files to a folder
To move files into a folder, perform the following steps:
To move several items, hold the Shift key while you select the items. A new window will appear.
Note title Notes:
- To move several items into a folder, hold the Shift key while you select the items. Then, drag the selected items' icons to the folder.
- You can also right-click and select Copy from the menu.
- Enter the file path that you want to move the file to in the Move text box.
- Click Move File(s) to move the files.
Copy a file
To copy a file, perform the following steps:
Select the file you want to copy and and click Copy from the tool bar at the top of the interface.
Note title Note:
You cannot create a copy of an item within the same folder.
In the Copy window, enter the file path for which you want to save the item.
- Click Copy File(s) to copy the file.
Copy multiple files
To copy multiple files, perform the following steps:
To copy several items, hold the Shift key while you select the items.
Note title Note:
You can also right-click and select Copy from the menu.
Select Copy from the tool bar.
- Enter the file path that you want to copy the files to in the Copy text box.
- Click Copy File(s) to copy the files.
Modify file or folder permissions
To modify a file or folder's permissions, perform the following steps:
- Click the file or folder for which to change the permissions.
- From the toolbar, click Permissions. The Change Permissions window will appear.
- Use the checkboxes or text boxes to change the selected item's permissions. This setting's permissions default to
- Click Change Permissions to save your changes.
Delete and restore files and folders
To delete a file or folder, perform the following steps:
- Select the file or folder that you want to delete.
- From the toolbar, click Delete. The Trash prompt will appear.
Click Trash File(s) to confirm that you want to delete the file or folder.
Note title Note:
When you delete files or folders, the system does not permanently delete the files. Instead, the system moves the files to the Trash folder. Click Empty Trash to permanently delete the files or folders.
To restore a file or folder, perform the following steps:
- Click View Trash from the toolbar.
- Select the file or folder that you want to restore.
- Click Restore in the toolbar.
- Confirm that you want to restore the item.
Other item actions
Right-click on files or folders to select from a menu of actions the system customizes based on the file's type.
|Upload||Files||Upload individual items, such as files or images.|
|Download||Files||Download files to save them locally.|
|Code Edit||Files||Open the selected file in a code editor.|
Open the selected HTML file in a visual HTML editor.
Extract the selected
|Compress||Files, Compressed Files, Folders|
Compress the selected files or folders to a single
Set a username and password to restrict access to a folder.
Redirect users who have shared the password to a restricted area of your site. The system will redirect accounts that exceed a set number of logins in a two hour period to a selected URL, or receive an internal server error message.
Customize the way users view a directory on the web.
Search for an item
The Search tool, located at the top-right corner of the interface, allows users to search for a specific file. By default, the Search tool searches all files in the
home directory. You can limit the search to the document
/home/user/public_html, or to the directory displayed in the file window.
To search for a file, perform the following steps:
- Use the Search menu to select the directory to search: All Your Files, only public_html or Current Directory.
- Enter the desired file name in the text box.
- Click Go.
A new window displays the filenames that match your search. To go to a folder, or go to the folder that contains the file, double-click the desired item in the list. If no files that include your search term exist, you will see the message No records found.
Character encoding verification dialogs
When you edit a file with the Edit, Code Editor, or HTML Editor features, a window appears to confirm the file's character encoding. Use the menu to select the correct character encoding for the file. Then, click Edit to continue.
- Click Toggle Help for more information about how to select the correct character encoding.
- Click Disable Encoding Check to turn off future encoding verifications.
To enable or disable the Character Encoding Verification Dialogs feature, perform the following steps:
- Click Settings in the top-left corner of the interface. A new window will appear.
- Enable or disable the Character Encoding Verification Dialogs feature:
- To enable encoding verification, select the Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs checkbox.
- To disable encoding verification, deselect the Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs checkbox.
- Click Save.
If you select the wrong initial encoding, your file may become corrupt. If your file displays as a series of special characters, immediately abort the edit and select the correct encoding. Do not save the file.